The ups and downs of a Sun engineer in a Microsoft world.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Getting Samba to work with Solaris 8 ... part 1

Lets have some more fun!

Problem:
My NAS, FreeNAS running on a 1.5G P3 with 512Mb of memory, can not be seen by my SPARCUltra2 server, running Solaris 8, both are behind my firewall, and my FreeNAS(192.168.10.133) box is on a NAT with my other office boxes. So one way is to port forward my NAS to it's public address, then have my SPARCUltra2 server read from my NAS.

Solution #1:

well I lazy, like all system admins these days, so I figured that the fastest way to get Samba running was to graba package from www.sunfreeware.com. Next thing is to install the package with the following:

# pkgadd -d /usr/local/src/samba-3.0.25a-sol8-sparc-local

then being realy lazy I checked the web for the installation.....
edited etc/services
And he said: "Immediately after the line which reads:
 sunrpc  111/tcp  rpcbind

insert the two lines:

 netbios-ns      137/udp  # Samba nmbd
netbios-ssn 139/tcp # Samba smbd

and, after the line which reads:

 ldaps  636/udp  # LDAP protocol over TLS/SSL (was sldap)

insert the line:

 swat   901/tcp  # Samba swat"

Now edit inetd.conf and add the following three lines to the end of the file:


netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd nmbd
swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat"

I'll tell you right off the bat that doesn't work!
re-edit the three lines inetd.conf and where there is /usr/local/samba/bin change them to:
/usr/local/samba/sbin (don't they love to move files around between releases!)

This still didn't work though, so when we go to the /usr/local/samba/sbin directory and execute any of the files with
# ./swat
ld.so.1: ./swat: fatal: libintl.so.8: open failed: no such file or directory.
All three programs crash with a library problem which I don't have time to deal with now:
More later - CA Harrison.



No comments: